Decker

https://beyondloom.com/decker/

Tool by @johnearnest (2022-present)

A multimedia platform for creating and sharing interactive documents, with sound, images, hypertext, and scripted behavior.

wings

Decker builds on the legacy of HyperCard and the visual aesthetic of classic MacOS. It retains the simplicity and ease of learning that HyperCard provided, while adding many subtle and overt quality-of-life improvements, like deep undo history, support for scroll wheels and touchscreens, more modern keyboard navigation, and bulk editing operations.

Anyone can use Decker to create E-Zines, organize their notes, give presentations, build adventure games, or even just doodle some 1-bit pixel art. The holistic “ditherpunk” aesthetic is cozy, a bit nostalgic, and provides fun and distinctive creative constraints. As a prototyping tool, Decker encourages embracing a sketchy, imperfect approach. Finished decks can be saved as standalone .html documents which self-execute in a web browser and can be shared anywhere you can host or embed a web page. Decker also runs natively on MacOS, Windows, and Linux.

Additional Resources

Metadata

7 Likes

Decker is wonderful, I spent the winter holidays of 2022 playing it with, I love seeing what people make with it. I was just looking at Razetime’s website written in Lil.

Decker was also posted to HN, and discussion has some more references as well as links to prior discussion:

I keep hearing nice things about Decker, but I can’t bring myself to take a serious look at it because… of appearance. Its a constant reminder of early macOS. I actually used those machines, and they were about the most frustrating computers I ever had to work with. Nothing beats “Error 35: the operation could not be completed because there was an error” in terms of bad UX, in particular when you see it twice per hour for no apparent reasons.

1 Like

Ah hmm, I have a positive reaction to the appearance. I spent a lot of time with the classic Mac interface as a kid, so it holds a good deal of nostalgic charm for me.