Götz Bachmann’s Ethnographic Research on Dynamicland

Ethnographic Research on DynamicLand

I believe that we need to allow us to try to solve “unsolvable” problems.
One 50 year project could solve a difficult problem that 50 1 year projects can’t.

And we need this mentality. Dynamicland has such mentality. In the first years of the project , most researchers left, because they could’t believe that the problem can be solved.

2 Likes

Though a non-substantive reply, I have to mention that I loved :heart: reading this.

In the 2022 Boxer Salon, there was a discussion of future with iirc Andrea diSessa framing the goal of wide-spread computational literacy as a long-term project, which could take 100 or 200 more years… (and boxer is already >40years old at this point :grin:)

I think the liberating thing I learned from Future of Coding podcast/community is the acceptance that even if I manage to be build something interesting, it won’t be my particular thing that will change the world. Seeing how much other’s work I’m looking at as inspiration, I’ve accepted that it’s fine to attempt quirky and incomplete stuff, in hope it might give somebody else an idea to build something that will give somebody else … etc.

A concept deeply accepted in academia, but one I perhaps forgot in industry… Open source does embrace and enable longevity and others studying, forking, and building upon your work, but it emphasizes direct code reuse more than “source of inspiration” reuse.

4 Likes

Failing often is desirable. It means you search many different paths of possibilities.
Building incomplete and ugly stuff is also desirable, because nothing innovative can be perfect from the start.

Reflection on the path you take, abstracting on the more general idea is also important.
Also, sometimes the way forward might require one to solve a difficult problem. We need to take our time to do so.